Best Online Tutoring jobs
Online remote teaching jobs
As an online tutor, your role is to take someone at a certain level and help this person to reach a higher level of proficiency. You will have to make a diagnostic of a student’s skills and needs, it can be by simply having a conversation or with a preliminary test. And, to come up with a plan on how to make this student progress.
As a teacher, your responsibility is to provide information, give your students knowledge, and to train them properly. It is important to set goals at the beginning and to state clearly what your students are going to achieve.
For example, a bigger goal could be fluency in speaking in 6 months and one of the steps may be to establish a daily routine of speaking or to improve the pronunciation of one sound. Online tutoring targets many types of people and the public.
Engaging activities for distance learning
Nowadays, people are used to be entertained by anything they do. Lately, the transmission of knowledge and education was mainly the only thing to focus on for a teacher. A student was naturally interested in learning but now a tutor must spark the interest of learners especially for kids.
Engaging young students with the use of playful activities remains a challenge that any online tutor has to overcome. For parents and older learners, the look of a platform and user experience also matters: for example good lighting or sound, properly formatted documents are required.
Equipment for online tutoring
Although the equipment varies according to the platform, the subject, the public, and other elements here is below a list of usual pieces of furniture and tools you may need.
- A good internet connexion, internet booster if needed
- A desktop computer, a laptop, or a tablet
- Computer accessories: a camera, a microphone, a wireless mouse
- A cell phone
- lighting for video calls, a headset
- video conferencing software
- specific software to create and read documents, spreadsheets, slides, videos, …
- a professional email
- Cloud storage
- google chrome extension for teachers
- an online whiteboard
- Classroom management software and organizer
- infographic maker
Qualities of a good teacher
Like any teaching job, to become an online tutor you need some teaching skills, knowledge, and experience. For example, if you are proficient and experienced in social media you could offer tutoring services throughout a social media marketing course. You also need some basic hardware skills and intermediate software skills to perform all the tasks. Some common requirements to get a tutoring job are:
- Proficiency in the subject
- Good communication skills
- Outgoing and social skills
- Computer skills as seen before
- Time management and organizational skills
This is just a sample of what you need to master to be a great online teacher but every company has specific requirements.
Can I become an online tutor?
There is not a unique way to start tutoring. Depending on your skills, your knowledge, and your experience you can decide the better path for you. Some of the questions you may ask yourself to know if you will be able to teach online from home are:
- Am I proficient enough in any subject to get paid to tutor online?
- Am I comfortable to speak in front of a microphone and camera?
- What are the communication skills that I have?
- Do I a teaching certificate to begin with?
- Do I prefer teaching adults or kids?
- How much time can I allocate to teaching?
- Is it part-time? A side hustle? A full-time income?
- What kind of equipment do I need to teach online?
- How much I can invest in equipment and for getting a certificate?
- What are the pros and cons of online tutoring?
- Do I want to create my own online tutoring business?
- Do I prefer to work with an already established online tutoring platform?
- How much do I want to earn?
- Can I teach for groups? Do I prefer one-and-one tutoring?
- How can I find online tutoring jobs near me?
Before you go further, maybe you can take a moment to write down the answer to each question. That way, you can focus on a much clear goal. Depending on the path you choose here are some ideas for online tutoring jobs.
Create your online course
Creating an online course can be a long process. But, if you have some knowledge to share it can be done using an online platform. Online teaching platforms have evolved to make it easier to build and sell online courses. Most of them offer free training to help new instructors to build their courses. To get starting your online tutoring business you can generally sign up for a free plan or for an x-day free trial.
Sell course on Udemy
Udemy can be a good fit for people who have already build an email list or who have the means to drive “cheap traffic” to their course. If you can spend a reasonable amount of time building the course and can price it around $100, it can be a profitable business. Some people consider it like a side hustle for making passive income because they can only make around $5 per sale.
Pros of selling course on Udemy
- Easy to set up and to start selling.
- Most people know what Udemy is and trust the platform to buy online courses.
- Udemy already has a huge number of students registered and you may have students or customers without having to do any promotional campaign.
- People are already on the platform to buy courses.
- You create and host courses as you want with no or minimum up-front fees.
Cons of selling course on Udemy
- For each sale you have to share the money with the platform, they keep a percentage that can vary from 0% to 75%.
- Their new royalty model is not in favor of the instructor and for more of the sales Udemy will keep 50% or 75% of the money.
- The online teaching platform does not allow email list building.
- They do not share students’ contact with the instructor, basically, it is not your students but theirs.
- It is difficult to sell your course at a higher price; courses are priced between $20 and $200 and changes in instructor coupon validity have caused great instructors to leave the platform to create their own website.
Best Udemy alternative
These online teaching platforms offer similar services in terms of course creation and hosting. In general, to know how much money you can make you have to check these points on the website:
- Up-front cost
- Monthly subscription
- Free trial and free plan
- Fees and percentage retain on each sale
For each platform, take the time to read all the features including. Some of them are good for passive income since you will hardly ever interact with students. Others allow you to teach live with live webinars and many video conferencing tools.
- Become a LinkedIn Learning instructor
- Create your online course on coggno
- Add your course to SkillSuccess
- Create your online course on teacher
- Become an Ofcourse tutor
- Become a FutureLearn partner
- Create your first class on skillshare
- Create and sell online course on WizIQ
- Become an instructor on Udacity
- Join the elite group of expert on learning.ly
Teachable and alternative online course platforms
In order to start an online teaching business, it is possible to use online course platforms like teachable. Unlike Udemy you will have to drive traffic to your course and manage the students yourself. You can also build your email list and use email marketing on the platform.
You have more control over the price and you can build a branded online course. These online course platforms are usually easy to use and you can build a course in a few weeks. Most of them have free training and tutorials to help you create an online course.
Depending on the plan you choose you can get a low or no transaction fee. Here are below three online course platforms to consider:
- Free plan available
- Prices: $29 – $99 – $249
- 14-day free trial
- Prices: $39 – $79
- Free plan available
- Prices: $49 – $99 – $49
10 best tutoring job ideas
Here are some of the best subjects to teach online that are in high demand and can allow earning good money from home.
- Teach English as a second language
- Teach foreign languages online
- Online math tutoring jobs
- Teach science online
- Social media tutoring
- Teach how to make handmake items
- Health wellness online teaching jobs
- Online parenting jobs
- Dog trainer – pets behavior
- IT tutoring jobs